VMWare Fusion is an app used to create and run a virtual machine, in this case one running Microsoft Windows. Unlike Boot Camp, the virtual machine runs inside the native Mac operating system, so both can be accessed simultaneously without the need to restart your computer to switch.
What you will need:
- VMWare fusion (download from the Here)
- Windows 10 .iso (download from Here)
- At least 30 GB free space on your computer
- Log in to Engineering Resources using your engineering account and engineering password.
- Select an appropriate VMWare version, then click Add to cart. Complete the order – the cost will be $0, but you must complete the order to download the installation media and access the product key. Take note of the product key for later.
If you already have a compatible Windows install disk you can skip this step and the next. Otherwise:
- Log in to Engineering Resources using your NetID and NetID password.
- Search “Windows” and select an appropriate version, then click Add to cart. Complete the order – the cost will be $0, but you must complete the order to download the installation media and access the product key. Take note of the product key for later.
- Double-click the VMWare .dmg to open the installer. Choose Install VMWare Fusion.
- A warning window will appear. Check the box next to “Don’t warn me…“ and then click Open.
- Click Continue in the next popup.
- Enter the serial number obtained with the VMWare download.
- Select the appropriate hard drive for installation, then click Continue.
- Click Install and enter your administrator password if prompted.
Create Windows Virtual Machine
- Start VMWare Fusion from your Application Menu. You will likely be prompted to install updates. If so, click Download and Install, and select Install and Relaunch to perform updates right away.
- Click Install Windows or another operating system…. OR File > New… > Virtual Machine.
- Click Continue without disk (recommended).
- Select Use operating system installation disk image file and click Continue.
- Browse to your Windows .iso and click Choose.
- Select the correct Windows version and click Continue.
- Enter the Windows Product Key obtained from Engineering Resources.
- Choose between More Seamless and More isolated
- Customize settings if needed – we recommend the default settings. Click Finish.
- The Windows Installer should start automatically.
- When prompted, select your language andclick Next. Then click Install now to begin.
- On the next screen, read the license terms then check the box next to I accept the license terms. Click Next to proceed.
- Windows 7 will now install. This could take some time, do not turn off or unplug your computer while this is happening. The computer will reboot to complete the process.
- Upon reboot, you will be prompted to create a local user account and name your computer – choose names and then click Next to continue.
- Next, you will be prompted to select a password for your local account. After doing so, click Next.
- On the next screen, enter the product key obtained from Engineering Resources and click Next.
- When prompted to choose update settings, select Install important updates only.
- Configure your Date & Time and Wireless settings as needed. When complete, Windows 7 Desktop will start.