Welcome Undergraduate Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the questions we get most often from new or prospective students on Engineering Technical Services (ETS) or Engineering Computing Services (ECS) topics.

What kind of computer do I need?
All engineering software, as well as standard desktop productivity software, will be available to you in the Engineering Learning Centers and on Skybox, so the choice of personal computer largely comes down to individual preference. You should choose a computer that you are comfortable using and that meets your needs aside from specialized engineering software. You should also consider whether you prefer something portable that you can bring to class or the library, or whether you prefer a desktop system. For standard system recommendations, see here.

I need Microsoft Office (or other non-free software) for my computer – how can I get it?
There is a lot of FREE software available to you for use on your personal computer, both through UConn and through the School of Engineering specifically. This includes Windows, Microsoft Office, Matlab, and many other programs. Follow those links for specific information on eligibility requirements and how to obtain and install this software.

Where do I check my UConn email?
Student email is provided through Google Apps for Education. There are no engineering email accounts.

How can I print on campus?
You do not need your own printer – you can print in black and white or color in either of the Engineering Learning Centers (in Engineering II or Information Technologies Engineering Building), as well as in a number of departmental computer labs. At the beginning of each semester you start with 50 free pages. You can add more or check your balance by visiting the SoE Help Desk in EII room 306B (for the EII and ITEB labs) or departmental offices (for all other labs). See here for more information.

I need to print a poster. What should I do?
As long as your poster is for academic purposes, you can print it for free at the EII Learning Center or in some of the departmental computer labs. More information on our capabilities and what you must do to prepare are here.

My club needs to borrow a vehicle. How can I do that?
The School of Engineering has some vehicles available for official University business. See here for more details.

I need specialized equipment or advice for a project. is there anyone that can help?
The Engineering Technical Services Machine Shop and Electronics Shop have specialists on staff and a wide range of equipment available. See the shop pages for details.

Who do I contact for maintenance on campus?
For non-emergency maintenance, you should submit a request here. For emergencies (like flooding, broken windows, etc.) you should call 860-486-3113 or 860-486-3114. Note: if someone is hurt or in danger, dial 911 immediately.

Helpful Links

Here are some links to resources not within ETS or ECS that may be useful to you. Please note that we do not maintain these pages, and if you have questions about the content you should reach out to the contacts listed on those pages directly.

Where can I find <important form>?
The Office of the Registrar has a number of forms available online. If you don’t find it there, you should ask your advisor or your departmental office.

How can I sign up to get texts/ emails when classes are cancelled (or other safety-related alerts)?
You will get alerts through the contact information you provide in StudentAdmin – see alert.uconn.edu for more information.

I can’t find my class. Where is <building>?
A searchable campus map is available here.

Where can I get laboratory safety training?
The Division of Environmental Health and Safety oversees laboratory safety at UConn. They can answer questions about safe laboratory practices or waste disposal, and offer training courses that are required before you may work in a laboratory.

Where can I get help with my classes?
The Engineering Tutoring Center has peer tutors to help with a variety of courses.

What’s going on at SoE for diversity and outreach?
Check out the Engineering Diversity and Outreach Center!

Where can I find out about student organizations?
You can check out the student involvement fair at the beginning of the semester, or check out a full list of student clubs at UConn here.