From Off Campus
If you are connecting from off-campus, you must first connect to the VPN. Ensure that you are connected to the internet, then follow the instructions here. Once you are connected to the VPN you can proceed with the instructions below.
From On Campus
- Right-click on the Computer icon on your desktop and select Map network drive
- Next to Drive, select any available letter.
- In the Folder field, enter \\hnas.engr.uconn.edu\EngrUser\users\username\public_html (replace “username” with your engineering username)
- Check Reconnect at logon if desired.
- Check Connect using different credentials.
- Click Finish.
- In the Windows Security prompt enter ENGR_STUDENT\username and your engineering password. Click OK.
- To save files to your private storage from Windows, repeat the above procedure and replace public_html with private_home in step 3
- To access share drives on HNAS, replace the path in step 3 with the path to your share.
ECS recommends that you store all your data in the folder private_home. The default permissions on this folder are set so that only you can access it. Storing data in other areas is only for expert users who know what the risks are.
The default permissions should ensure that files in the folder public_html directory are visible to the world over the World Wide Web. Please be very conscious of this and only post information that you have the right to share with the public in that directory.